Green tea has my heart ! If your are not already drinking green tea , I highly suggest incorporating it into your diet . It’s loaded with antioxidants and many other constituents (about which I will be telling below) which makes it the healthiest beverage in the entire world .
Do you know ?
Green tea and Black tea originate from the same plant species – Camellia sinensis.
Its the variety and the processing of the leaves which defines how green tea becomes ‘green‘ and black tea becomes ‘black‘.
- Camellia sinensis sinensis –
- small leafed variety
- native to china
- used to make green tea and white tea.
2. Camellia sinensis assamica –
- large leafed variety
- first discovered in Assam district
- used to make black teas.
Green tea processing –
Green teas are often referred to as non-fermented or unfermented teas. The intent is to preserve the healthy and natural elements of the fresh leaves. The traditional method of processing green teas involves withering , heating, rolling and drying. After picking, the fresh leaves are spread out on bamboo trays and exposed to sunlight or warm air for one to two hours. Then the leaves are heated to prevent oxidation and preserve freshness. Finally, the leaves are rolled into various shapes and then dried. The rolling also helps regulate the release of natural oils and flavor during steeping.
Flavour Profile –
The overall taste of green tea varies between vegetal , grassy , earthy , sweet, buttery, nutty ,lush green and herbaceous.
What makes green tea offer great benefits ?
The following components of green tea makes it the healthiest beverage on Earth –
1. Catechins –
- Catechins are a type of polyphenol and are the main astringency component in green tea, long known as tannins.
- 4 types – Epicatechin
- Epicatechin gallate
- Epigallocatechin gallate
- Benefits –
Decreases blood cholesterol
Body fat reduction
Cancer prevention effect
Tooth decay prevention, antibacterial effect
Inhibits high blood pressure
Bad breath prevention (deodorizing effect)
- Drinking tea when tired from work or study can make a person feel refreshed. This is an effect of caffeine.
- Since caffeine has a stimulant effect on the central nervous system , it can ward off drowsiness and increase the capacity for mental or physical labor.
- If one consumes caffeine and then does a moderate amount of physical exercise, before the muscles’ internal energy source (glucose or glycogen) is used, there is a phenomenon whereby fat is used as an energy source, thereby helping enhance stamina.
- Extra benefits –
(decreases tiredness and drowsiness)
3. Theanine –
- (Full-bodied flavor component in tea)
- It produces a relaxing effect.
- Main property of theanine is that, the potentially dramatic stimulant effect of caffeine is instead transformed into a moderate effect.
Neuronal cell protection
Relaxation effect (promotes α wave production)
Lowering of blood pressure
4. Vitamins –
- Green tea is known for having more vitamins in higher concentrations than other foods, and this fact alone makes tea a superior beverage.
- A deficiency in even one of the 13 vitamins can result in skin disorders, numbness in the hands and feet, sluggishness and fatigue.
- Hence, regularly drinking green tea, which is full of vitamins, is good for your health.
- Vitamin C –Maintenance of healthy skin and mucus
membrane (collagen formation)
- Vitamin B2 – Maintenance of healthy skin and
- Folic acid – Prevention of fetal neural tube defects (NTD)
Prevention of arterial sclerosis
- Beta Carotene – maintenance of night vision .
- Vitamin E – antioxidants
5. Saponins –
Saponins have anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-allergy properties and have been shown to lower blood pressure and prevent obesity and influenza
6. Fluorine – Prevention of tooth decay
7. γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA）-
GABA is formed when raw leaves are left without oxygen.
Benefits- Lowering of blood pressure.
8. Minerals –
- Minerals play an important role as bodily regulators.
9. Chlorophyll –
- Deodorizing effect
Proven Benefits –
Cuts cancer risk
Improves Heart Health
Regulates Blood Pressure
Lowers The Risk Of Type 2 Diabetes
Helps Relieve Arthritis
Promotes Weight Loss
Improves Brain Health
Helps Cure Hangovers
Helps Treat Dark Circles And Puffy Eyes
Offers Anti-Aging Benefits
Helps Treat Acne
Stimulates Hair Growth
How to make a cup of green tea ?